Friday, September 16, 2016

Was it worth it?

Since it was difficult to keep up the volleyball ruse, basketball was the sport that I had played throughout high school and almost in college. I find the decision I made to pursue a college trek centered around academia to be surprisingly wise, or fear-induced. The opportunities that I took, and still take, strongly correlate with the ideals of my parents.
          Retrospectively, I should have taken the opportunities I had been allotted to pursue a collegiate career in basketball, since I, relatively, had little to lose. My runway was long, and if I decided to transfer and take a 5- year path, I would still graduate at 22.
 In the beginning, basketball was only for fun. In some respects, it was a time and monetary investment to my parents, but I did not consciously let their wants influence my decisions. I still play for fun, and I wish I had been more willing to take risks on myself in an effort to play basketball professionally. Quotes often say that courageous, successful, strong people lay everything on the line for their dreams, but those quotes may just come from gamblers that got lucky.
 The marginal enjoyment that I would have reaped, with what knowledge I have about NCAA basketball, would have been way higher than what it was as a freshman in Chemistry trying to transfer into Chemical Engineering, who ultimately chose an entirely different path. I would have picked Economics as my major instead, because it seemed like an easier major. In one token, I would have been ahead academically, but I would not have the time to focus on school as much or join RSOs and become more involved in the university.
          Resumes are important. Even though I haven’t had any “real” jobs, I am sure that a strong one can give me the opportunity of at least an interview. The other day, I was having a conversation with a graduated U of I football player, who majored in RST, and is having a tough time finding employment. He touts his experience as a football player when he speaks with potential employers, but the sport has been his main focus for most of his life. I thought his case was rare, so I spoke with other graduated athletes and learned that they had similar experiences concerning employment. At first, I thought they were underemployed, but what exactly is the professional utility of athletics, outside of the realm of athletics?  
          When I decided that I wanted to take less risks concerning my career, I was either not well informed in the investment banking/ startup culture. With a startup, I could have my hands on a unicorn, but it is more likely that I fail. This past summer, I was in a startup accelerator, and I learned that VCs and Angel investors minimize risk while maximizing reward. Often, a route they take is by investing in companies that they are familiar with. In a sense, this is oxymoronic, because history of American capitalism hints that similar firms may compete and everyone will not last. In a sense, one may see these types of funders as playing the short game, regardless of the size of investment they give.
          From the information that I collected, I was led to believe that the opportunity cost of college athletics is not worth paying, as a student whose family could afford expensive tuition, especially if I ended up making less than the median salary of people in my respective major. I could have made it to the pros, but that is unlikely. From an early age, we are convinced by family and teachers that we can do anything and should follow our dreams, but following dreams tends to be impractical, especially when it comes to business and athletics. The two are alike in the sense of opportunity cost; low risk = low reward and high risk = high reward.
            

2 comments:

  1. As it turns out, one of my former colleagues (now retired) was big time into college volleyball and for many years refereed women's games, though I don't think he ever did the U of I games. I know more about that sport (still only a little) than I ever would have otherwise. For example, I know that many Big Ten schools don't have the men's sport, as a way to stay in accord with Title IX and offset the dominance of football. So I had some inkling on your ruse, though I clearly don't understand all of it. If you'd like to fill me in but not make that known publicly, you can explain it in an email.

    Though I don't know this, for the sake argument let's say you weren't good enough to jump from high school to the NBA, but you may have been good enough to generate a basketball scholarship offer at some universities, with future pro prospects highly uncertain. I thought what you said after that somewhat unfair - basketball versus chemistry. But perhaps that accurately reflects the mindset of a first-year student.

    There are plenty of college students who are not good enough athletes to consider the tradeoff that you faced who end up going through the motions in college for a variety of reasons: (1) the courses don't speak to them in a meaningful way, (2) there is fear of failure so putting in maximal effort is almost too much to bear, and (3) they don't know what they want so they idle waiting to find inspiration. It's unclear whether those issues are also there with you, whether the sports stuff merely is a veneer or if it blocked out those other concerns.

    Now let me switch this to our class. This post really did not address the prompt. That is okay. You don't have to address the prompt. But if you choose to write something else, you need to tie it to what the class is talking about. I didn't see the connection here. If there is one, you should bring it out in your response to my comment.

    Also, here is a suggestion about the writing to make it flow better. Your word choice makes it appear that you are trying to be sophisticated in the writing but it comes off as a little pompous, because you are not yet used to writing this way. Give it time. Meanwhile, saying things in plainer English is fine. It gets the point across, which is definitely the main thing. And in our class it is the points you make, not the choice of words to make them, which counts the most.

    ReplyDelete
  2. From my understanding, your post is about the opportunity cost on your choice of major/career? You were supposed to go into college athletics, but considered Chemistry as an alternative choice, and finally ended up doing Economics? Sorry if I get this wrong, but I had difficulty following your writing. If so, I would be interested to know why did you considered Chemistry at first, and also why did you switched to Economics in the end? Because these paths seem to be very different and does not overlap with each other. And people that have a strong interest in science like Chemistry usually don't have a strong interest in social sciences like Economics. So I would be interested to know how did you make connections and transitions? How did you evaluate the opportunity cost of doing Chemistry or doing Economics?

    ReplyDelete