Saturday, December 3, 2016

Grand Finale

I haven’t taken too many Econ classes, but I have gotten more applicable knowledge in this one compared to my others. In one way or another, most days we discussed self-interest, whether it was through moral hazard, contracting, opportunistic behavior, teamwork, or insurance. I have a habit of assigning goodness and badness to behaviors that I respectably agree with or disagree with. When I was younger, my friends and I would idealistically debate about what we would do if we were president, professing how we would save the world, but it isn’t that easy. This course encouraged me to reflect on my past experiences in leadership, and how much “ugly” was there. The world is uglier than I grew up perceiving it. I valued the truth being told and a blind, tenacious commitment to teamwork more than I do now.
People do what they thing is best for them/their families.  I think it was good that we did not use the word “lie,” and instead had to substitute it with “strategically misrepresent preferences.” Lying implies intent and an evil connotation, but misrepresentation can be accidental and honest. Many adults do not tell the truth about Santa Claus, but to say that they are lying about this character’s existence is strong and out of place.
Horseshoe seating made the class more informal, but it seemed to benefit the discussion. I found the in-class discussions to be insightful, though they were often dull. Questions were posed in unclear or tricky ways and I found myself trying to avoid a trap that was or was not there. Also, there were only about 6-9 people that contributed to the conversations, which I found disappointing for a small class with 20+ students enrolled. I am sure the vagueness of some questions kept others from participating, but I think some of it also came from the fear of being wrong. Often teachers/professors do not directly say that a student is wrong, but instead say “Does anyone want to help them out?” I find that behavior to be destructive because it isn’t clear, but it is normalcy. I think students are used to being coddled in that way, so when they are afraid of being wrong in front of people, they don’t take chances. I do not know how to remedy this, because forced participation, from my experience, creates an environment for undeveloped, well-thought out responses, hence lowering the quality of discussion. Also, having a greater audience, or mandatory attendance, could make this stage fright worse.

As far as blogging, I didn’t mind taking chances because no one wants to read the same thing said in different ways. Also, I am unmotivated to write about things that do not directly affect my life. Normally blog posts take me between 90-120 minutes. I spend about 30 of them brainstorming my topic and outlining the structure, then I spend the rest of the time filling in the blanks and tying my points together at the sentence level. The blog posts tied well to the in-class discussions, but did not connect with Excel homework, apart from the Prisoner’s Dilemma matrix that I made about teamwork.  I think it is okay for those two not to be related, but it would have certainly helped to go over some of the math in class. Having videos at our disposal helps, but it does not beat in-class instruction. Students may be bored, but if the math was covered more in class, I think people would be more willing to go to class. Otherwise, I found the math to be relatively intuitive, though I was challenged. The books, though supplementary, were not necessary to class discussions, blog posts, or the Excel homeworks, but they were expensive. I feel like I wasted a huge chunk of money since they were described as necessary, but weren’t for 13 weeks. All in all, I am glad that I took this course, and I feel like I got my money’s worth. 

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you that this class is much more applicable than other Economics courses. Compared to the other Econ classes I have taken, the insights I've gained from the Economics of Organizations have been much more pertinent to real-life topics. Sometimes I find myself thinking about the topics we've learned and how they apply to my own life, work, and relationships.

    Your metaphor about Santa Clause and the misrepresentation of information was very eye-opening for me. I remember talking about the topic in class, but I don't think anyone gave that exact example earlier. The way you explained it really helped me realize that misrepresentation can in fact be honest and kind-hearted.

    I also felt nervous about speaking up in class at times because I was not sure of what the "right" answer would be. I wish that more of us had been more open about our opinions, but, as you already explained, it is hard for that to be realistic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The paragraph about stage fright seemed to me spot on. It clearly is a big deal and I may not be managing it correctly, though as you say it is not an issue with an obvious solution. In that sense, lecturing mainly - whether about the Excel models or about what we otherwise discussed - would be safer for students since they wouldn't be asked to perform in a visible way. The trick is to find safety yet encourage class discussion. Maybe I need some coaching from students to do that.

    On ethics and homo economicus, with the exception of some early discussion about sociology in the gift exchange model, preferences are typically modeled as depending only on one's own payoff, not on the payoff of anybody else. With those sort of preferences and being true to them, their can't be ethics. In fact, we do care about other people, certainly within the family, then with the people we interact with on a regular basis, and even people we hardly know. Economics doesn't model this very well, except when altruism and externalities becomes the object of study. For example, we never actually discussed that the agent might do what the principal wants, simply because the agent cares about the principal. The virtue of studying economics is to see what the situation looks like when stripped down to these bare elements. It should not be taken as a prediction in more complex environments where social motives mix with private objectives.

    You are right that the Excel and the blogging had little overlap, but maybe more than you indicated. The sharing the marbles post does in some sense tie into the Excel homework on efficiency and how the surplus gets allocated. The triangle principal-agent post clearly was meant to extend the core principal-agent model.

    Finally, you are the first student to comment on the price of the textbooks. I thought ours were pretty modest, since Milgrom and Roberts you can definitely buy used (and sell back later) and Bolman and Deal is not that pricey. If that is wrong, I'd like to know more detail on it.

    ReplyDelete